With an Introduction by George Soros and an Afterword by Aryeh Neier
George Soros is one of the world's leading philanthropists. Over the past thirty years, he has provided more than 8 billion to his worldwide network of foundations: the Open Society Foundations, which have applied the concept of the open society, the cornerstone of Soros's thinking on democracy, freedom, and human rights, in the United States and abroad. This book, written by former New York Times
journalist Chuck Sudetic, marks the first exploration of George Soros's innovative philanthropic strategies and unmatched commitment to building open societies in places where dictatorship and violent repression have been the rule for too long.
Soros is widely lauded for his brilliant financial and economic insights and investment strategies. But his philosophy-driven philanthropy and its impact are unprecedented for a private individual, and have produced remarkable results. Soros's visionary efforts include:
The Philanthropy of George Soros
- helping to topple communism in eastern Europe and the Soviet Union and attempting to foster civil society in China
- initiating and nurturing global and local organizations fighting to overcome the driver of war, repression, and corruption in oil- and blood-diamond states
- helping Sarajevo's people endure three years of siege during the Bosnian War
- fighting resistant strains of TB in Russia's jails and Lesotho's mountains before the disease can devastate the world's great cities
- undertaking the first attempt in history to help Europe's most downtrodden people lift themselves from poverty and segregation
- supporting democratic resistance in Burma and building communities in Haiti's roughest slums
- applying new methods for fighting poverty and drug addiction and reforming dysfunctional justice systems in Baltimore, New Orleans, and other U.S. cities.
reveals the thought and practice behind a lesser-known dimension of this remarkable man's life, his goals for society, and his underlying vision for the future.