The Signet Classics edition of the tragedy that features one of Shakespeare's greatest female characters.
A magnificent drama of passion and war, this riveting play presents the complicated relationship between the seductive, cunning Egyptian queen Cleopatra and the Roman leader Mark Antony, a man torn between an empire and love.
This revised Signet Classics edition includes unique features such as:
- An overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater
- A special introduction to the play by the editor, Sylvan Barnet
- A selection from Plutarch's Lives of Noble Grecians and Romans
, the source from which Shakespeare derived Antony and Cleopatra
- Dramatic criticism from Samuel Johnson, A. C. Bradley, John F. Danby, and others
- A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions
- Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable text
- And more...