The Signet Classics edition of one of William Shakespeare's greatest tragedies.
Full of cruelty and betrayal, King Lear
is the timeless and tragic story of a kingdom held in the thrall of an aging ruler's descent into madness. Desperate for praise, he banishes those who would guide him with honesty and surrounds himself with sycophants--an action that leads to his ultimate downfall....
This revised Signet Classics edition includes unique features such as:
- An overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater
- A special introduction to the play by the editor, Russell Fraser
- Selections from Raphael Holinshed's Chronicles of England, Scotland, and Ireland
, Sir Philip Sidney's Arcadia
, and The True Chronicle History of King Lear
, the sources from which Shakespeare derived King Lear
- Dramatic criticism from Samuel Johnson, A. C. Bradley, John Russell Brown, and others
- A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions
- Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable text
- And more...