The Signet Classics edition of William Shakespeare's incomparable tragic play. To be, or not to be: that is the question
There is arguably no work of fiction quoted as often as William Shakespeare's Hamlet.
This haunting tragedy of a troubled Danish prince devoted to avenging his father's death has captivated audiences for centuries.
This title in the Signet Classics Shakespeare series includes:
- An overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater
- A special introduction to the play by the editor, Sylvan Barnet
- A note on the sources from which Shakespeare derived Hamlet
- Dramatic criticism from Samuel Taylor Coleridge, A.C. Bradley, Maynard Mack, and others
- A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions of Hamlet
- Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable format
- Recommended readings